CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, October 20, 2008

Christian Responsibility

This was written by my father-in-law...and it's something I feel our generation specifically needs to hear.

I have been trying to pay close attention to the presidential election and all of the issues and problems facing our country. We face many of them; war on terror, education, energy, and the economy in general. The candidates can argue about the solutions to these problems and propose many different answers. However, this election has boiled down to 1 issue and it is not one that was listed above. It comes down to how you answer the question, “When does life begin?” This was recently asked of both candidates. Senator McCain answered “...at conception” and Senator Obama answered, “...that is above my pay grade.” You see, as a Christian, I have a responsibility to stay true to the Word of God. God’s Word says that shedding of innocent blood is wrong (Proverbs 6:16-17). Abortion is wrong. As such, I believe a Christian should not and cannot support a candidate, especially a presidential candidate, who supports abortion. If a President is wrong about this, he will be wrong about a lot of things.

What has prompted me to write this is I hear more and more about “Christians” supporting Senator Obama. This has brought up the whole issue of “Christians” having lifestyles that are anything but Christian. It is time for people who claim the name of Christ to examine themselves and make sure they are indeed Christians. These are not my words, but Gods (Philipians 2:12). God has called us to live lives of “holiness” (I Peter 1:14-16). Not that we are perfect or that I am in any way, but it is a lifelong pursuit to become more like Jesus. Sin in our lives should drive us to ask for forgiveness and deliverance not tolerance and indifference. I want to encourage you to read Galations 5:21 and I Corinthians 6:9 and see what God says about who WILL NOT inherit the kingdom of God. Do these things sound like people you know? God’s people must take a stand against sin and darkness in this world. Jesus has called His people to be “in the world but not of it”, to be “light in the dark”. Not to be bystanders and simply go along with the crowd. In fact going along with the crowd is not an option. God’s Word says “light has no fellowship with darkness”, and that we, as Christians, should walk as “children of light”, (Ephesians 5:8 and 11). Read 2 Thessalonians 3: 6 and 14 and see what God has to say about how to deal with people who claim to be Christians but deny the truth of God’s Word. God’s word is clear. Holy means set apart or separate and that is what He has called us to be.

I encourage you to take a few minutes and read the scriptures mentioned above. Ask the Holy Spirit to guide you, open your understanding and empower you to be light in the darkness....





1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this is great! Very well written, and convicting. It really bothers me when I hear of someone, especially a Christian say they are voting for Obama. I expect it from Hollywood and the media, but how can a "Christian" be so deceived? It scares me to think about living in a nation led by him.